Friday, February 5, 2010

NOT DEAD YET, The Best is Yet to Come


Frankly Speaking, February 5th, 2010
           
Welcome to the inaugural NOT DEAD YET Blog.  I’m Frank and I am one of the Original Not Dead Yet Guys. You may be wondering what all this “Not Dead Yet” stuff is all about.   For me, it started when I noticed how some people began addressing me as sir, or treating me like I was an old man.  Hey I’m only 53! I don’t feel 53, ok sometimes I do physically, but not mentally.  In my mind I’m still 35.  So back up, I’m Not Dead Yet.  I don’t have to submit to this misconception “Not Dead Yet” for me simply means, I’m not done yet. I’ve got a lot left to give, a lot left to do.  I’m not slowing down…I’m just getting started, the best is yet to come!!!

Lately I’ve been reflecting on my life experiences.  Taking a look back at where I’ve been, where I’m at now, and what I’d like to be doing.  When I was younger I remember listening to Zig Ziglar at a motivational conference.  He was about 65 at the time and he said something I remember to this day. He said “I figure it’ll be about 20-30 more years before I even peak”.   I liked his attitude then and I like it even more now.

Together, we Original Not Dead Yet Guys came up with three words that exemplify what NOT DEAD YET is all about; Resilience, Spirit, Wisdom

Resilience – People who never give up regardless of what obstacles life throws at them; they refuse to lose.  People who are survivors and can’t wait until tomorrow because they’re getting stronger every day.

Spirit – People with the Spirit of Joy, Appreciation, Adventure, Passion, and Compassion

Wisdom – People who have experienced life, who are wise enough to know that we’re all unique but also share many similarities.  Wise enough to know that they’re never too smart to learn.  Wise enough to be content with who they are.  Wise enough to realize that while they can’t change the past, they can influence the present and the future.

I’ve got 4 wonderful children, ages 12 thru 21 and a beautiful two and a half year old granddaughter.  I want to see what the world has in store for them.   I want to learn how to play the piano, learn to speak Italian, complete my MBA, and travel with my beautiful wife.  I want to volunteer and serve others and give back to my community.  Maybe I’ll be a High School teacher and a baseball coach.  Something I’ve always wanted to do.   It feels like halftime for me.  There’s so much more to learn and do.

I know I’m not the only one in this state of mind.  What about you?  What do you think about?  What would you like to accomplish? Are you inspired by people who are adventurous, still growing and taking on new challenges?   Are you full of life?  Do you see the best in others and want to make an impact where you can? 

 Please share your Not Dead Yet story or the story of someone you know.  Optimism and Hope are contagious.  Keep an eye out at notdeadyet.com. The Grand Opening is coming real soon. 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since I am 40 something, I guess that qualifies me to be a part of this crew. When I was 10, I thought 40 something (and beyond) was old, but not anymore! I have a supernatural power inside of me that keeps me pumped up and focusing on fullfilling my purposes in life. I definately not dead yet, not even close baby!
I look forward to what the NDY crew has in store for us. I am on board! Keep those cards and letters coming.
Mark

Anonymous said...

I think that your observation is very contagious for anyone that has gone through any level of diversity. Life is great when you are on anesthesia. That is why your point of looking forward is so freeing, because you really do get to start over each and every dayl. The biggest lesson that I had ever learned is when things go wrong is that the whole world "AFTER THE FACT" are all instant experts. The most impactful or productive period that I have ever enjoyed in my life is when I take advice and use my experiance and own what I stand for to move forward. The biggest lesson that I always remind myself of is that it takes no skill or courrage to sit in the bleachers of life, that is why people buy tickets instead of sell them. Only when you sell the tickets of your experiance or contributions in life do you get to smile and have a freash tomorrow.

Thanks,

Craig...

The NotDeadYet Guys said...

Excellent point Craig. There will always be players and spectators in life. Not Dead Yet promotes those that have courage to get in the game and take risks in whatever they pursue. Being its Super Bowl Sunday I'l throw in a Vince Lombardi quote I heard this morning.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will."
Vince Lombardi

Joe Lortie said...

In these days of struggle, especially for those 40 - 50 year old, it is great to have things that remind you about principles and Having Fun! This is a very cool product that can help people remember some very important mindsets - Resilience, Spirit and Wisdom. Now the trick is to make it fun and cool for Old Folks! Not an easy task, but I think this product hits this goal right on the mark. Great concept, product and style.

Anonymous said...

I love it!!!! Though I am still in my 30's I am thrilled to read more about it!

Anonymous said...

What a great concept! I, too, feel like the halftime show has just ended, and I’m about to write, direct and star in the second act of the play that is my life. I’m a 57-year-old woman, seven years into a second calling as a massage therapist. My prior career consisted of twenty years as a(n unhappy) Certified Financial Planner. It took the inspiration and support of good friends to enroll in training for a profession which truly ignites my passion. Most of my massage school classmates were twenty-something; I loved their innocence and raw energy. They admired my wisdom, determination, and ability to bring new perception to our studies.

My friends are typically younger, because I resonate with a more youthful, forward-thinking outlook. I have many dreams in addition to improving my craft, guided by the theme that life is best experienced and shared from the heart as opposed to the mind. It seems like there isn’t enough time for the subjects I want to study and the skills I wish to acquire!

Admittedly, the joints creak a bit, I’m sometimes addressed as “Ma’am” and am automatically issued senior-priced movie tickets at the box office, but my heart, attitude and definitely sense of humor are young and playful. I’m so grateful for the perspective that comes with age, and the humility to appreciate the vastness of truths yet to be revealed. My favorite quote of late is: “If you’re not living on the edge, you’re taking up too much space!” What’s yours?
Barbara

The NotDeadYet Guys said...

Barbara,

Welcome to Not Dead Yet. it was great to hear your perspective on what it means to be "Not Dead Yet". I love that your about to "write, direct & star" in the second act.

You go Girl!!!

Domenica Leuci said...

Not Dead Yet? I like the concept.

For me it means looking forward and not back, learning from your past and making better choices for your your future. We should never stop learning, never stop reaching, never stop doing. It is never too late to start anew, better yet, with every new venture you take with you a lifetime of experience.

I must admit, turning 40 this past year was a bit hard to swallow at first, but I am now enjoying the new life stage I am entering. As a wife and mother I have spent the past 13 years caring for my family and still do. However, I am learning that it is o.k. to be a bit selfish and to make sure that I am taken care of too.

I have recently re-entered the work force and am making huge career changes. The decision to change my career is challenging and very exciting to me. I am even contemplating going back to school for a second Masters. Watch out world !!! This time it is not about the paycheck, it is about doing something that makes me jump out of bed every morning, something that allows me the opportunity to help others. I am truly excited about my future, even moreso than when I first entered the work force right out of college. I have more to offer and am more confident now then ever.

Not Dead Yet...GREAT CONCEPT...I am definitely on board.

The NotDeadYet Guys said...

Way to go Domenica!!! I can feel the Optimism and Hope in your voice. Welcome to Not Dead Yet